Pyramids are one of the most iconic structures in the world and have been around for thousands of years. While most of us think of the great pyramids of Giza in Egypt when we think of pyramids, there are actually pyramids in other parts of the world, including Africa.
In fact, Africa is home to some of the oldest pyramids in the world and many of them are still standing today. Here is a look at the African countries with the most pyramids.
African countries with the most pyramids
- Sudan: Sudan is home to the world’s oldest pyramids, with the oldest one being over 4,000 years old. The most famous of these pyramids is the Meroe Pyramid, which is over 230 feet tall and has a circular base. There are over 250 pyramids located in Sudan, making it the country with the most pyramids in Africa.
- Egypt: Of course, Egypt is home to the world-famous pyramids at Giza. There are over 100 pyramids located in Egypt, making it the second most prominent country in Africa for pyramids. The Great Pyramid of Giza is the oldest and largest of these pyramids and is considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- Ethiopia: Ethiopia is home to the ancient Kingdom of Aksum, which was home to several large pyramids. The most famous of these pyramids is the Great Stele, which is over 33 feet tall and is carved with intricate designs. There are around 80 pyramids located in Ethiopia, making it the third most prominent country in Africa for pyramids.
- Kenya: Kenya is home to the famous Maasai Mara National Reserve, which is home to several large pyramids. The most famous of these pyramids is the Obelisk, which is more than 100 feet tall and is made of solid granite. There are around 30 pyramids located in Kenya, making it the fourth most prominent country in Africa for pyramids.
- Algeria: Algeria is home to several ancient pyramids, with the most famous one being the Pyramid of Djoser. This pyramid is located in the Sahel region of Algeria and is over 200 feet tall. There are around 18 pyramids located in Algeria, making it the fifth most prominent country in Africa for pyramids.
Conclusion: African countries with most pyramids
Pyramids are an important part of African history and culture, and these five countries are home to some of the most iconic pyramids in the world. From the famous pyramids of Giza to the ancient Obelisk in Kenya, these pyramids are sure to capture the imagination of anyone who visits them.